Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Valdivia



Dinner last night was very nice and lively. We started with a pisco sour, a cocktail which even Avi rather liked (not enough to get his own but we shared). Most of us had fish in various preparations - Chile is not known for its food but this was much better than expected.

This morning I explored Valdivia - and don't have much to report. I walked for about 5 hours and have probably visited most streets in town at least twice. I did go to the Historical Museum which I 'finished' in 10 minutes walking slowly and decided to forego the Moden Art Museum whose main claim to fame seems to be the nice views from its windows (the views were nice enough from the garden of the adjacent Historical Museum). But the people were friendly and my Spanish is improving by the minute. I even shopped for 1 marzipan bar. This area is famous for its marzipan - as it was settled by many German immigrants duing the first half of the 20th century. I like authentic German marzipan better but it was not bad - much better than the local arts and crafts in the market which were rather pathetic. I don't think we'll spend much time shopping here.



Today is overcast but I got a sunburn nonetheless (the hole in the ozone over the southern hemisphere...) - and the tempreature is just right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if there is any Jewish community in Valdivia or a synagogue at this city in Chile?

Thanks,

egimmon@megiddo.co.il